Bateria plays in Rio’s pre-Carnival for the 4th time
This saturday, 02/23, the Bateria do Instituto TIM will cheer up the small revelers of the Mini Bloco, the pre-Carnaval children’s ward from the Tijuca neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro, RJ. Starting at 10am, the show will take place in Praça Xavier de Brito and between the children and their relatives, it must reunite around 3 thousand people. This is the fourth time the Bateria is invited to play at the Mini Bloco.
The repertoire will consist of children’s songs, samba classics and Carnival marchinhas. The kids’ playlist includes “O cravo brigou com a rosa”, “Samba Lelê”, “Ciranda, cirandinha”, “Pai Francisco”, and “Alecrim”. For the sambas, the repertoire encompasses “Tristeza”, acclaimed song performed by Beth Carvalho, and “Maracangalha”, de Dorival Caymmi. To complete the song set, the marchinhas played will be “Mamãe eu quero”, “Me dá um dinheiro aí”, “Alalaô”, and “Sassaricando”. The show will conclude with the classic “Cidade Maravilhosa”.
The approximately 50 musicians of the Bateria do Instituto TIM have been rehearsing since November for the concert with the Mini Bloco. To crown the preparation, on 02/16 there was a rehearsal open for the regulars of the Artur da Távola Municipal Reference Centre for Rio de Janeiro Music.
A new feature of the Battery in 2019 is in the musicians themselves. From the around 50 participants, 60% are reminiscent of previous years, the other 40% are new members. In addition to that, a fair share of the current musicians — around 20 — have some type of disability. If the Bateria was born as a project aimed at the death population, it has grown to also encompass a great number of kids, teens, and adults with Down Syndrome, blindness, autism or other physical and/or mentally affecting disabilities.
The rehearsals of the Bateria do Instituto TIM take place every saturday from 10am to 12pm in the Artur da Távola Municipal Reference Centre for Rio de Janeiro Music. Anyone can join the project, whether or not they identify as having a disability.